Followers

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Daywear Casual Style: new abaya from my SIL


DETAIL OF THE SHAYLA PICTURED

I just wanted to show an abaya that I would feel comfortable wearing out on a day to day basis in Oman, from rural to Muscat. This particular abaya was tailored and is not a brand name and was a gift from my SIL KH.

Most Omani women get their casual-wear abayas tailor-made from the designs available at the tailor. Oman has special districts reserved just for abaya tailoring services.

There is no law in Oman stating that a woman must wear modest clothing but it is the cultural norm for Omani women to wear black Khaleeji style abayaat.

In Oman design on abaya is the norm as in UAE.

This particular abaya was a gift from my SIL KH who lives in the capital. Since the beads are wooden, the design gets away with being bigger for casual or work wear than it would if the design were the same size but the work done purely in crystals.
Note: I tend to wrap my shayla the Saudi way with a longer plain black shayla underneath because Omani shaylas are too short to style with chest coverage for Emirati styles, and I don't really like the Omani style with the length of shayla that covers the chest.
This is me attempting to show the design on the left sleeve. Since my husband doesn't support showing pictures of myself WHILE I think it would be a little hypocritical then to get someone else to model it for me {and he agrees this stems from his culture not Islam itself} the pictures are not perfect, be warned.

Note that the design has wider sleeves. To make the wider sleeves more practical I always get the tailor to put some snaps at the wrists so it won't fall open.

Skinny sleeves are not in style in Oman right now, nor are "farasha" styles unless they are bishts. You'll be spotted for a foreigner ASAP in any of those. If you ARE a local Omani girl if you ARE going for a fitted sleeve style that is good enough for Muscat then usually it is a labelled style like Hanayen, Khunji, Princessa ect with the logo appearing on the bottom hem in genuine crystals and plain black in a quality fabric like Saudi crepe. (NOTE: UNLIKE UAE, wearing an a-line cut abaya with fitted sleeves in Oman made entirely FROM STRETCH fabric with fitted sleeves is considered bad hijab and if you want to dress like that prepare to get stared at and the usual Omani friendliness to evaporate.).

I don't really care to follow trends and always opt for style over trend and sometimes I DO WEAR fitted sleeve Saudi crepe abayaat from the tailor into the city as well. Nothing bad in that but you'll be taken as someone from a more rural place than Muscat and not be considered "ala mode" tis all. My SIL KH teases me when I do that, city girl that she is.
This is the design on the right sleeve.

Personally, I think if you are planning on wearing the abaya out not to some social occasion with other women where you will all keep them on, limiting the design to the arms and not going all about the chest is more practical. And it prevents tempting you to style your hijab above the chest, which is a cultural and not Islamic abaya and shayla look that seems to be the major HIJAB-fail in the Sultanate of Oman, even with otherwise overly modestly dressed women.
I usually wear this look pretty simply, with a purse and sandals that match eachother, sunglasses (or niqab depending on where I am going), and anything ect totally depending on the outfit underneath.

BEAUTY of Oman is that flat open toe shoes are permissable by dress code even in the most formal of offices.

*****This abaya is tailor-made and not a recognized brand* I get the majority of my daywear from the tailor shops and NOT from the malls in Oman.***** 

1 comment:

Boxie said...

Nice Post mashallah. I am liking the new blog. :)